Personal Support Worker
As Canada's population continues to age, the demand for health care workers will inevitably increase. This includes for skilled personnel support workers who can work directly with patients and clients.
Everest College - Ottawa West's Personal Support Worker program is designed to give you the knowledge and skills necessary to compete for a position in this challenging and rewarding career field.
Personal Support Worker Courses
Everest College - Ottawa West's Personal Support Worker program includes training in:
- Role of the Worker
- Interpersonal Skills
- Assisting a Person with Mobility
- Household Management and Meal Preparation
- Providing Optimal Support/Care Planning
- Assisting a Person with Personal Hygiene
- Assisting the Family
- Cognitive Impairment and Mental Health Issues
- Assisting a Person to Manage Ongoing Conditions
- Assisting a Person with Medications
- Assisting a Person Who Is Dying
In your studies, you will learn range-of-motion exercises, transferring and ambulating independent and dependent clients, assisting clients with mealtime, the nursing process, dementia, Alzheimer's disease and much more.
You will also take a career and employment strategies course that provides techniques on job interviewing, resume preparation, writing thank-you letters and job search management.
To graduate from the Personal Support Worker (PSW) program, you must pass the PSW theory examination, which is administered by the National Association of Career Colleges. Upon passing, you will receive a certificate and pin from the NACC.
Personal Support Worker Career Opportunities
As a graduate of our PSW program, you will be qualified to seek employment in a range of facilities, including:
- Long-term care facilities
- Home Health Care Agencies
- Retirement Homes/Residences
- Group Homes
- Adult and Child Daycare Centres